One of our favourite places to take a walk is the Minnamurra rainforest near Jamberoo on the NSW south coast, sadly we didn’t make it up the mountain to the falls this trip (I’m still recovering from having my bones pinned back together), fresh rain fall made the forest beautiful. It seems like it is around this time every year, we find ourselves there.
As you’ve probably noticed one of these images is not like the others. Our second ever annual snow trip to Mount Selwyn was somewhat tainted by my breaking bones falling off a big cold rock into a ravine, I may have been trying to take a picture while precariously perched and it would have been awesome, had I had time to press the shutter. Still a good time was had by most, and we’ll probably be back there in 2017, but this time I’ll be wearing snow cleats.
I never thought I’d be one that would or could be bitten by the travel bug, but it has and it’s left a big throbbing welt begging for my attention. Recently I’ve found myself thumbing through the travel books again, and looking at the budget to figure out how much I need to save a week to make it happen. I don’t fly well, its the ears, so I’m starting to think about doing a trip with lot’s of stopovers. Hmmmm, the budget may not stretch.
Anyhow, as I age. Yeah there’s a phrase I had to make myself type. Ageing. Ugh. I have been thinking about the things I’d like to see and do before my organs are harvested. So after rummaging through some old journals I did come up with a list, little things I’d written in the margin.
- Climb the Great Wall of China – which I did in 2012 (Hurrah!)
- Get better at taking photos – just finished a diploma in photography. Yay me.
- Publish a book – well I’ve written enough to put one together, what am I waiting for?!
- Have my photos hang in a gallery – working on it.
- See a Narwhal – can you believe such a creature is real?
- Take my children travelling – which we do as much as we can locally – last year I took my girls to New Zealand, it was so worthwhile we loved every moment.
- See a glacier – happy to say I have in 2014
- See Monument Valley – maybe next trip?
- Photograph a whale breaching into the air – so far all the ones I’ve seen have been tail wavers.
- Master another language – still trying to crack Mandarin
- Spend some time on a house boat.
How’s that for starters? Not too bad I reckon, seems pretty doable. However I think I will be left disappointed by the Narwhals.
For now the kids & I will keep paddling 🙂