I have spent my day putting stuff into storage in an effort to make our house look suitably presentable to potential buyers. But then I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t be dazzled by the minefield of toys that having so many children creates? It is often spectacular.
But I have worked out something today. Babies make you buy crap. Expensive crap. Crap you will probably never even use. I know this not just because I have had seven babies and now know that there is really a limit to what some of these marvelous baby contraptions can do, but as I a pack up my house to put it on the market I am encountering mountains of stuff we either bought or got given and discovered that some things were crap or got no use at all because they were pointless.
Here’s a few examples of useless crap we acquired that is now off to charity.
- A safety co-sleeping bed, it’s a little tiny baby bed that you put in the middle of your own bed and you and husband are supposed to sleep on either side of it. How you are going to fit two people in the bed once you have baby in the middle is beyond me. Husband will have to move out. Or better yet I will.
- A dozens of baby mittens – what do people think babies are going to be doing to need this many mittens. And I have not bought any of them. The little buggers only suck them and you have to take them off because they are cold and wet.
- A dummy sterilizer – yeah because I have the time and space to do this separately.
- Chopsticks for children – they have a hard enough time getting the food into their mouths using their hands, how well do you think toddler chopsticks are going to go? Somebody will lose an eye.
- Toddler sized oven mitts – I kid you not. I am assuming the idea was for me to do the motherly thing and let the kids cook with me, but I question the sanity of a mother who would allow her toddler to touch a hot oven, even with mitts on.
- Several hundred teddy bears. Nuff said.
- A thingy that super cools a baby bottle really quickly, you should see this contraption. In the time it would take to set it up I could have walked to the freezer, got out an ice cube, popped it in the bottle and fed the baby.
I could list so much more I really could, but I shall stop and just be thankful that a wipes warmer isn’t among that list eh? Now there is a pointless piece of baby equipment if I ever saw one! You see what babies do to peoples brains and wallets?! They make us make stupid shopping decisions.
It has felt good to shake off a lot of ‘stuff’ today, packing things up carting them away. I even managed to giveaway husbands old car today, awesome. I still can’t believe how much we have accumulated over such a short period of time. It is Henry’s (future dark overlord) birthday is next week and now that I’ve gone through all the toys I have no clue what to get the kid, as I don’t want to get more stuff. And it’s not like a three-year old will appreciate clothes.
So to that end, who has birthday present ideas for a little man that has everything?
Tomorrow brings an end to my fertility, and to me that’s kind of a big deal. I know I know what’s there to be worried about I have seven kids, my baby making days should be over right? Crikey we’ve had family and friends (yeah you know who you are!) hassling hubby and I about when I was going to get my tubes done for the last three babies!
Anyway, I know this will send a lot of people into squeals of shock and/or terror BUT, there is a small part of me that is not sure I am done having babies… I heard that.
But I know that it is the best option for me right now, having fallen pregnant on every kind of contraceptive there is, except the IUD which I haven’t tried, the only option left is something permanent. And my poor body has told me in no uncertain terms; “No more babies I’m stuffed and to prove it here’s a stress fracture in your ass bone!” Cop that girly!
But still something in me still thinks another little girl would be nice. I had always thought there would come a moment where I would ‘know’ I was done having babies. I’ve known other women that have had that moment. I am curious to know how they arrived at that point. And why, with my pending sterilisation tomorrow, haven’t I arrived at that same point myself. After tomorrow will I be full of regret for babies not had? I know a some people will view my desire to have so many children as selfish. I have even been accused of having so many children to fill some sort of ‘hole’ in my life, well at least I filled it with beautiful little people. I’m sure I’ll be okay with it eventually, I think it is time for me to get my body back and I’ve already got rid of my fat chick clothes. So I’m on my way.
Wish me luck and a speedy recovery won’t you 🙂 I’ve got too much to do and to get over this as quick as possible!