One of our favourite places to take a walk is the Minnamurra rainforest near Jamberoo on the NSW south coast, sadly we didn’t make it up the mountain to the falls this trip (I’m still recovering from having my bones pinned back together), fresh rain fall made the forest beautiful. It seems like it is around this time every year, we find ourselves there.
At some point this summer the heat must have fried my brain, I know this because it failed to engage when my mouth said “Hey how about we head north for Christmas? But what’s a camping trip without one good story to come from it? We decided our first stop would be Lake Liddell, where we had a little misadventure. Check out my column for the story My Fairfax column page….
Welcome to Tingha!
On top of Mount Topper, overlooking Tingha and Stannifer (Northern NSW).
We climbed Giants Leap near Muswellbrook. Super steep, there were SO many complaints.
The Illawarra Fly tree top walk through a rainforest canopy is a unique experience, that is certainly not for those with vertigo issues. The kids loved it and were shit scared at the same time, especially when the tower starts to wiggle 😉 Great place for a different kind of weekend adventure, and you can also go ziplining.
I never thought I’d be one that would or could be bitten by the travel bug, but it has and it’s left a big throbbing welt begging for my attention. Recently I’ve found myself thumbing through the travel books again, and looking at the budget to figure out how much I need to save a week to make it happen. I don’t fly well, its the ears, so I’m starting to think about doing a trip with lot’s of stopovers. Hmmmm, the budget may not stretch.
Anyhow, as I age. Yeah there’s a phrase I had to make myself type. Ageing. Ugh. I have been thinking about the things I’d like to see and do before my organs are harvested. So after rummaging through some old journals I did come up with a list, little things I’d written in the margin.
- Climb the Great Wall of China – which I did in 2012 (Hurrah!)
- Get better at taking photos – just finished a diploma in photography. Yay me.
- Publish a book – well I’ve written enough to put one together, what am I waiting for?!
- Have my photos hang in a gallery – working on it.
- See a Narwhal – can you believe such a creature is real?
- Take my children travelling – which we do as much as we can locally – last year I took my girls to New Zealand, it was so worthwhile we loved every moment.
- See a glacier – happy to say I have in 2014
- See Monument Valley – maybe next trip?
- Photograph a whale breaching into the air – so far all the ones I’ve seen have been tail wavers.
- Master another language – still trying to crack Mandarin
- Spend some time on a house boat.
How’s that for starters? Not too bad I reckon, seems pretty doable. However I think I will be left disappointed by the Narwhals.
For now the kids & I will keep paddling 🙂
This little shot I took of my boy and his big splash won them an iPad, they are very happy little men.
GoPro for the win again! I’ve started just keeping it in my handbag, because you never know. Something good to photograph always pops up when you are camera less.